Reading Fluency Intervention
20 minutes per session, 3-5 times per week
Description / Directions
Teacher selects an independent level text for student to read from.
1. Teacher introduces any words that student may struggle with.
2. First oral reading is done by the teacher, student listens.
3. Student rereads the passage (teacher times the reading). Teacher provides support if student struggles with a word (word supply or decoding coaching).
4. Student rereads the same passage several times (often over several days).
5. Student and teacher work together to graph student’s progress - both wcpm and errors made.
RESOURCES: What Really Matters in Fluency: Research Based Practices across the Curriculum by Richard Allington